Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Freedom will not come easy


This was supposed to be a very nice ("nice" as in classy) project, but it didn't turn out that way. First of all, I did NOT take the picture in the frame. I merely went thru tons of pictures of the Revolution in Egypt & found an article & another quote (the one at the bottom) I feel expresses the heart of this movement. Although this isn't an elegant, artsy craftsy, or even very creative piece, it's one that speaks to me. We, in most parts of the world, take freedom for granted. Sure, we can claim to be oppressed, we don't like something about where we live, blah, blah, blah. But the bottom line is, we DO have freedom.

While tuition in Egypt is only about $60-$70 a year, the unemployment rate for those between 18-29 years old is 90%. Millions of Egyptians are literally risking their lives against a regime that wants only to stifle them, if not permanently silence them, ie: kill them.  In America we have the right to protest, the right of freedom of speech, and the right to bear arms - what is happening in Egypt, would not, and could not, happen in the USA. They only have State-sponsored TV which is telling them the protesters are getting paid by foreign journalists to protest - that is their ONLY means of information, other than word of mouth.

Imagine living in the conditions they are, without the rights we take for granted, yet risking your life - knowing very well it may end your life - but doing it anyways because it will lead to a better future for yourself, and those that come after you. What COURAGE and DETERMINATION that must take. I have so much admiration for the Egyptian people; this is their Revolution, not ours. But we can support them in spirit & with our voice. To that end, this small piece of art is my voice telling them "I support your effort for democracy, equality and peace."

About the art: This photograph was taken by Kahlil Hamra of the AP on 1/30/2011; I printed a 4x6 copy of it. I decorated a wooden frame with red, white and black tissue paper & gel medium. Using gel medium, I added the headline along w/the article about women participating in this movement. I also included a quote from the newspaper that says, "I don't care...Freedom will not come easy."  While I never use the suggested word for the Focus52 group, oddly enough, the word this week was "framed" and for the first time, I did, indeed, use the word prompt.

Peace
Original date: 2/7/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment